Faculty Dr. Sushmita Biswal Waraich
Dr. Sushmita Biswal Waraich has a PhD in Psychology from Delhi University. She has got over 13 years of work experience in the industry, research and teaching at B-schools including teaching executives from corporates like Ericson, Bharti Airtel and GECIS (currently Genpact). Broadly, her areas of teaching are OB and HR. She has also designed a course on Creativity, Innovation, Leadership and Entrepreneurship and taught extensively to engineering students. Her areas of research include organisational change, entrepreneurship and creativity. She has worked on projects funded by ICSSR, Ministry of Commerce and Tata McGraw Hill. She received the “Best Dissertation Paper Award” at the National Research Conference organized by AIMA in 2012. She is empanelled as a PhD supervisor with several universities. She has a number of publications/presentations in national and international refereed journals (including ABDC journals) and conferences and also chaired sessions at national and international conferences of AIMA, MDI, Christ. She has cases published with world leaders like Richard Ivey and Emerald Emerging Markets Case study. She has conducted MDPs for mid-level managers on creative and critical thinking, conflict handling, emotional intelligence etc. She has invited guest lectures (international) to her credit and has additional interest in writing for national dailies.
Research and Publication
- Waraich, S. B. and Chaturvedi, A. Currently (Nov 2019), a primary case “Jugnoo: Expansion or Consolidation” has been accepted for publication with Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies (Scopus).
- Waraich, S. and Chaturvedi, A. (2017). “Eco Tasar Silk: Sales Force Calling it Quits”, 2017-05-18, Richard Ivey Publishing (& Harvard Business Publishing, Product No. - W17270-PDF-ENG)
- Waraich, S.B. & Chaturvedi, A. (2016). Entrepreneurship Development in the Business Schools: An Analysis of Initiatives in Delhi and NCR, South Asian Journal of Management (SAJM), Vol. 23.1, Jan-March, pp.189-209. (ABDC journal). This paper also featured in a book published by Springer, Singapore (mentioned below).
- Waraich, S.B. & Bhardwaj, G. (2012). Perception of Workforce Reduction Scenario as a Determinant of Coping Strategy of Survivors, South Asian Journal of Management (SAJM), Vol. 19(3), pp. 34-49.
- Waraich, S.B. & Sharma, R. (2012). Management Education and Entrepreneurship, AIMA Journal for Management and Research http://apps.aima.in/ejournal_new/index.aspx, Vol. 6(4/4), ISSN: 0974-497.
- Waraich, S.B. (2012). Outplacement Revisited, Indian Journal of Industrial Relations, Vol. 48 (1), pp. 160-171.
- Waraich, S.B. & Bhardwaj, G. (2011). Coping Strategies Adopted by Executives in Downsized Organization in the Indian Context, SAM Advanced Management Journal, Summer Issue, Vol. 76 (3), pp. 26-34. (International, USA, ISSN 0749-7075).
- Waraich, S.B., Bhardwaj, G., & Yadav, N. (2011). An Exploratory Study of Downsized Survivors’ Work Behaviour, Management and Labour Studies (XLRI) Vol. 36(2).
- Waraich, S.B. & Bhardwaj, G. (2010). Workforce Reduction and HR Competencies: An Exploratory Study, Indian Journal of Industrial Relations, Vol. 46(1), pp. 100-111.
- Waraich, S.B. & Bhardwaj, G. (2009). Workforce Rationalisation: Views from the Top, Management and Labour Studies (XLRI), Vol. 34(3), pp. 405-424.
- Waraich, S.B. & Bhardwaj, G. (2007). The World of Corporate Changes, Transitions and HR Competencies, Indian Journal of Industrial Relations, Vol. 43(2), pp. 269-290.
- Waraich, S.B. & Bhardwaj, G. (2003). Workforce Reduction and the Need for Outplacement Services, Management and Labour Studies (XLRI), Vol. 28(2), pp. 141-152.
- Waraich, S.B. & Bhardwaj, G. (2002). Workforce Reduction and Survivors’ Psyche: A Review, Management and Labour Studies (XLRI), Vol. 27(4), pp. 229- 244.
Chapter in Edited Book (International)
- Waraich, S.B. (2016). “Corporate Social Responsibility: Beyond Philanthropy”. In Dwivedi, N. and Yadav, D. S. (eds.), Corporate Social Responsibility: Emerging Issues and Challenges, Cambridge University Press, India, pp. 7- 19 (ISBN 978-93-85386-14-5).
- Waraich, S.B. & Chaturvedi, A. (2017). “Entrepreneurship Development in Business Schools: An Analysis of the Initiatives in Delhi and NCR”. In Manimala, M. and Thomas, P. (eds.), Entrepreneurship Education: Experiments with Curriculum, Pedagogy and Target Groups, Springer Nature, Singapore, pp. 325-343 (ISBN 978-981-10-3318-6).
Conference Papers (Published/Presented)
- Anand, M. & Waraich, S.B. (2019). Investment in Career Development of Outsourced Employees: A Review, presented at 7th PAN IIM World Management Conference 2019 (IIM, Rohtak) on Public Policy and Management: Emerging Issues held from 12th to 14th Dec, 2019.
- Anand, M. & Waraich, S.B. (2016). Employer Branding with a Flexible Work Place: A Comprehensive Review, presented at the International OB & HR Conference on Riding the New Tides: Navigating the Future through Effective People Management held on 24th and 25th Nov, 2016 at FORE School of Management, New Delhi.
- Waraich, S.B. and Chaturvedi, A. (2015). Role of Educational Institutions in Igniting the Spirit of Entrepreneurship: A Conceptual Analysis, presented at the Global Conference on “Managing in Recovering Markets” organized by MDI, Gurgaon held from 11th-13th March, 2015.
- Waraich, S. B. and Chaturvedi, A. (2015). Initiatives for Entrepreneurship Development among the Business Schools in Delhi and NCR: An Analysis, presented at the ICIER-IIMB International Conference on Entrepreneurship Education and Training: Design, Delivery and Effectiveness at IIM Bangalore, held from 29-31 January, 2015.
- Waraich, S. B. (2014). Management Education: Does it provide the Professional Orientation that is required? Presented at the 8th National Research Conference on “Managing Turbulence in Management Education: Aligning with the needs of Industry”, organized by AIMA-CME, New Delhi on 19th-20th March, 2014.
- Waraich, S.B. (2013). The Psychological Aspect of Innovation: Innovators and Innovation Managers, presented at the National Conference on “Mind and Management”, organized by GGS I P University, New Delhi, 25th October, 2013.
- Waraich, S.B. (2012). Workforce Reduction: Survivors’ Concerns and Organisations’ Responses (PhD thesis), presented at the National Research Conference, organised by AIMA-CME on 27th-28th November, 2012 (received the Best Dissertation award).
- Waraich, S.B. (2012). Creating a Culture of Innovation: A Review, presented at the national seminar on “Dynamics and Developmental Changes in Business Practices” (published in book), held at Institute of Information in Technology and Management, New Delhi, February 25, 2012.
- Waraich, S.B. (2011). Presented at the International Conference on “Transformation and Survival of Business Organisations: Challenges and Opportunities” held at Prestige Institute of Management, Gwalior in the Best PhD Thesis competition session, December 28-30, 2011.
- Waraich, S.B., and Bhardwaj, G. (2011). Analyzing Factors Related to Appraisal of Workforce Reduction Scenario and Coping Strategies and their Relations with Background Factors of Survivors: An Exploratory Study, accepted at the International Conference on “Changing Perspective of Management: Revisit the Existing and Explore the Novel Ideas” held in Nepal, March, 10-12, 2011.
- Waraich, S.B., Bhardwaj, G. and Venkataratnam, C.S. (2003) Coping with Uncertainty in a Workforce Reduction Scenario, in Background Papers (Readings for the Conference) on “Winning Amidst Unexpected Unknown” at All India Management Association 30th National Management Convention, Delhi, pp. 77- 86, 91-94, September, 15 – 17, 2003.
- Waraich, S.B. (2003). Survivors’ Dilemma: A Re-look at Quality of Work Life, presented at the Conference held by the National Academy of Psychology, Shastri Indo-Canadian Seminar, and Symposium of the Centre of Advanced Study in Psychology, Utkal University, Bhubaneshwar, January, 27-31, 2003.
Other Publications (National Dailies)
- Waraich, S. B. (2013). “Good Intentions Won’t Do: Eliciting Feedback from Students has its Merits only if Implemented the Right Way”, Hindustan Times, 28th June, 2013, pp.12 (http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/Delhi- Comment/Good-intentions-won-t-do/Article1-1083483.aspx).
- Waraich, S.B. (2015). “Repertoire of Learning”, Statesman, 16 January, 2015.
- Waraich, S.B. (2015). “Revisiting Management Education”, The Economic Times (ET Ascent) on 21st July, 2015, pp. 9.
- Waraich, S.B. (2016). “Education Sans the Art of Giving”, http://indianexpress.com/article/blogs/education-sans-the-art-of-giving/, The Indian Express, 17th April, 2016.
- Waraich, S.B. (2016). “MBA: How the Changing Face of Management Courses is Helping Gen-next Managers”, http://indianexpress.com/article/education/management-education-catering-to-the- changing-times/, The Indian Express Online, 20th Dec, 2016.
- Waraich, S. B. (2017) A Unique Start-up Culture in the Making, http://www.dailypioneer.com/sunday-edition/agenda/Opinion/a-unique-start-up- culture-in-the-making.html, The Pioneer, 4th June, 2017.
- Waraich, S. (2017). “Deliberating on Internal Dimensions in Teaching”, http://www.dailypioneer.com/sundayedition/agenda/opinion/deliberating-on- internal-dimensions-in-teaching.html, The Pioneer, 3rd Sept, 2017.
- Waraich, S. B. (2018). “Are We Defacing our Social Network”,http://www.dailypioneer.com/columnists/oped/are-we-defacing-our- social-network.html, The Pioneer, 16th Jan, 2018.
Areas of Interest
Change Management, Creativity and Innovation, Leadership, Entrepreneurial behaviour
Industry - 3.5 years
Academic - 10+ years
Achievement & Awards
Received the “Best Dissertation Paper” award at the 7th National Research Conference organized by All India Management Association – Centre for Management Education, Doctoral Dissertation Competition, held at India International Centre on Nov 27-28th 2012.