Sanjay Kumar holds a master’s degree in Economics and Business Administration from Delhi University. He superannuated from Steel Authority of India Limited in September 2019, as Chief General Manager, after serving it for more than 30 years, in various capacities.
Joining Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) in 1988 as an Economist in the Business Planning Directorate, at the Corporate Office, he rose to head the Business Planning function of the company. In his tenure at SAIL he was actively involved in tasks pertaining to strategic planning, joint ventures and business Development.
He was also a part of the Investors relations team that regularly interacted with the investors, merchant bankers and equity analysts from India and abroad, on the performance and prospects of the company and the steel sector.
Some of the key assignments he handled included, formulating long term strategy for the Company – SAIL Vision 2030, Corporate Plan 2012, and Corporate Plan 2005. He developed the demand module for India Vision 2020 for the World Steel Association. He was also a part of the team that prepared the ’Investor Relations Guidelines’ for the central PSUs in 2011.
Mr. Kumar was a key member of the team that formulated and implemented SAIL’s Turnaround Strategy during the years 1997 to 2003. Subsequently, in the Chairman’s secretariat he dealt with the issues related to the company's special steels business, cost reduction strategies, business environment analysis and contemporary issues concerning the industry.
Recipient of Best Executive and best Group Awards, his contribution was also recognised by Director General of World Steel Association Dr. Edwin Basson for India Steel Vision 2020, and Secretary Department of Disinvestment, MoF, GoI, for Investor Relations Guidelines through letters of appreciation.
Prior to joining SAIL, for 3 years (1985 - 1988) he worked as an economist with The Policy Group, a consultancy organization for economics and econometrics projects dealing with macro-economic policies and strategic issues related to specific industries.An avid sports fan Sanjay Kumar has diverse interests encompassing music, reading and watching movies.
- SAIL KOBE Iron India P Limited (Sept. 2017 to August 2019)
- Bhilai Jaypee Cement Limited (December 2018 to July 2019)
- SAIL MOIL Ferro Alloys P Limited (January 2019 to August 2019)
- SAIL Sindri Project Limited (May 2017 to September 2019)
- SAIL Jagdishpur Power Limited (May 2017 to September 2019)
Research & Publication
- Making the Elephant Dance – A Turnaround Story of SAIL (2021), Sage, India
- Structural Changes and Competitiveness of the Steel Industry in India: Assessed by Productivity Growth post Economic Reforms (2021), International Journal of Global Business and Competitiveness
- Product Mix Optimization: A Case Study of Integrated Steel Plants of SAIL (1991), Opsearch
- Master’s degree in Economics and Business Administration.
- Superannuated as Head of Business Planning Department, at SAIL, at its Corporate Office in New Delhi.
- Last Position Held: Chief General Manager In-Charge Business Planning.
- Key Responsibility Areas: Strategic Planning, Joint Ventures and Business Development.
- Received ‘Best Executive’ award.
- Thrice recipient of the ‘Best Group’ awardThrice recipient of the ‘Best Group’ award.